Forging Relationships by Building Trust

A friend of mine traveled to Walt Disney World with her husband and two young children. The trip was fantastic! The rides, food, shows...nothing could ruin this "Magical" Vacation. Well nothing, besides Winnie the Pooh.

Yes, this huggable, lovable, silly old bear could have potentially RUINED the experience. Let me explain. You see, the youngest of these children brought with him his favorite stuffed animal, a 12 inch Winnie the Pooh doll. Over the course of three days this bear, along with their family, enjoyed all of the sites and sounds of the "happiest place on earth". On the final day, while watching the majestic riverboat travel across Liberty Square, Winnie decided it might be time to take a swim.

While his favorite bear was floating across the water my friends son screamed in horror! His father, unsure of how to handle this, decided to find the closest Disney Cast Member for help. It is what happened next that is remarkable and speaks to the point of this post.

As he approached the Cast Member, my friend was convinced that someone would give him permission to dive into the lake and rescue his sons most prized possession. Anything to stop the shrieking cries that could be heard across "The World". But alas, he was quickly informed that jumping into the lake was not an option. Yet, all was not lost!

As instructed by his superior, I assume Mickey Mouse himself, this cast member was given the power (long before this incident occurred) that his job was to make things right. Not long after hearing of this tragic accident the cast member returned with a five foot tall Pooh to replace the one that had decided to float away. Despite this kind gesture it did not take long for this witty two year old to notice something wasn't right. Had Pooh Bear mutated while swimming? His size, though impressive, was a clue that THIS was not the same Pooh! Unsure of where to go next, Mom and Dad continued on their day with a child clearly upset that his favorite toy was gone and unimpressed with the enormity of it's replacement. It was an hour or two later that this story would come to an end. While exiting a ride the family exited into a gift shop filled with more Disney Magic than anyone could dream of. Curiously Mom and Dad approached the cashier and explained the Pooh situation. Immediately this cast member went through the isle, choose a 12 inch Pooh for their son and a Minnie Mouse doll for his sister. Life was beautiful once again, and this family lived happily ever after.

It was the ability of these cast members to solve the problem without needing to get permission that both saved the day and reminded my friends, and their children, about the magic of Disney. The trust that had been placed in them by the corporate mouse allowed them to have the confidence to solve problems on the fly. Their solutions, although not always perfect, helped forge a relationship amongst not only themselves and their employer, but extended to countless families across the globe who keep coming back for more. Ask any Disney aficionado about why they keep coming back, and you will hear stories similar to this one, otherwise known as magical moments.

In his book, The Innovators Mindset, George Corous writes about trust and how that trust helps to foster relationships, both he argues are necessary to inspire innovation. Mr. Couros suggests that the ability to create an innovative experience starts with the three most important words in education today, "Relationships, Relationships, Relationships". When I read this, I took to it like peanut butter to jelly. In my eleven years in education I have often been asked what I love most about teaching. My answer is always the same: The relationships. I attribute the mild success that I have achieved to this very simple principal and it is in my mind (and George's) the foundation of all that is possible.

With each turn of the "digital" page, The Innovators Mindset, I often found myself intrigued and enlightened by the advice and guidance offered. His straight forward style and real world examples help readers like me envision a scenario in which ALL students learn to extend themselves beyond their own comfort zones and perceived limitations.

I have always believed that in order to get the most from my students I must always be prepared to give them all that I have. This trait has come most in handy specifically in my Personal Branding class. This thirteen week course requires students to trust me with their passions, stories and dreams. What I learned very early on, even before I taught this class, was that if I wanted students to trust me I had to trust them. In class I have attempted to gain the trust of my students by sharing my own stories of struggle, commitment and achievement. Through story I introduce them to the people who have influenced my life in simple and/or profound ways. We discuss MY dreams and goals as I attempt to inspire students to be equally open to the possibilities that the future holds. I never ask my students to do something that I would not do myself. To create an environment in which each student feels valued as a learner and as a person I have tried to open up my own life in order to serve as an example and to build their trust.

For me, this principal idea extends beyond my classroom walls. Three years ago I was trusted to create iTech21, a professional learning opportunity for teachers from all across Florida. It is here that I recruit the best and brightest teachers to present innovative ways in which they have used technology to boost performance and/or make class more engaging. By fostering these relationships, of both presenters and guests I have tried to establish a community of educators who share a common purpose. Inspired by each other, I hope that they will feel more confident in their ability to create a tech friendly classroom environment. The hope is that they take this confidence into the classroom where they will have the ability to create innovative and engaging lessons to share with their students. If, like Mr. Corous suggests, innovation starts with relationship building, then I hope that more of my own colleagues will consider joining the iTech revolution so that together we can inspire and innovate K-12 education and the students that we influence daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment